I must confess. I am not a very good house plant person. I used to have quite a few of them and for a while they did really well, but with more children and less time, they became neglected and are no more. I currently have one lone African Violet that miraculously has survived after near death.
One of my problems is I don’t have places to put plants. I have only a few southern windows and they all sit above our heating vents, so I can’t put tables or anything in front of them to put plants on. There are a couple upstairs but two are in the hallway and one in the kids playroom (not a good idea to put plants there since it’s right where they walk into the room. If I were to get ambitious, clean and re-organize my office, I might be able to put a table close enough to the window to be beneficial but I’m afraid of it being knocked into when we’re pulling inventory to ship.
I have always wanted an indoor herb garden. I love cooking with fresh herbs, and during the summer that isn’t a problem as I have some started outside. But this time of year I don’t have that luxury. I have been watching the little herb gardens in the stores but didn’t really want to pay the money they were asking. Yesterday while in a thrift store I found one of those little herb gardens – new – never opened for under $5.
I’m not sure how old it is, there was an 09 on the seed packages so I think that is the year. I figured if the seeds don’t germinate I’ll get some new ones. Here is what was inside when I opened it.
The soil pellets intrigued me. I’ve worked with the little ones before that you add water to and they grow for you to start seeds in. The directions told me to add 2.5 cups of water to them. I ended up needed a bit more than that to get them all broke down. Here is what I ended up with:
Sorry for the picture quality, I forgot to change the setting (still trying to figure out everything on the camera). I couldn’t believe all the dirt that ended up being there. I spooned it out into the pots:
and added the seeds, basil, parsley, chives, thyme, and cilantro:
The directions said to put about half the seeds into the pots. Most of them had more than enough to do this so I have extra seeds in case any don’t come up to try again or I will put them into my outside herb bed this spring. Here is the final product:
For the moment it will sit on my kitchen counter where I will remember to water it. Hopefully by the time they come along I will have found a more permanent spot for it. I will track the progress in the coming weeks for you.
Until next time – Happy Gardening!